ROUND 1 PREVIEW 2017
ITALY v WALES
- Italy’s 41-17 victory over Japan in their most recent fixture in World Rugby U20 Championship last June ended a nine game losing streak at this level.
- Italy U20 have not won in the Six Nations since overcoming Scotland in February 2014.
- Wales U20 are defending the grand slam they won last year and have won their last seven matches in the Championship since tripping up against France in 2015.
- Wales finished in 7th place in last summer’s World Rugby U20 Championship played last June in Manchester.
- The two nations have met on eleven previous occasions at this level with Wales winning them all.
- This is the first major rugby game to be played in Legnano.
SCOTLAND v IRELAND
- Scotland finished in 8th place at the World Rugby U20 Championship last June with their only two victories coming against Australia and Italy.
- In the 2016 Six Nations Scotland’s two victories were gained against England in round 1 and Italy in round 3.
- Scotland’s 21-36 reversal to France in round 4 last season ended a four game home winning run in the Championship.
- Ireland U20s achieved their best ever result in the World Rugby U20 Championship last summer when they reached the final, only to lose to the hosts, England. Their defeat in that game ended a seven game winning run at this level.
- Ireland won in the last three rounds of the 2016 Six Nations but have not won four in a row in the tournament since 2012.
- Ireland have won their last three matches against Scotland U20 in all tournaments since their 10-17 defeat in the Six Nations at Galashiels in round 5, 2015.
- Scotland’s only loss in their last four home games against Ireland at this level was at Inverness in 2011.
ENGLAND v FRANCE
- England won the World Rugby U20 title for the third time in the last four years in Manchester in the summer, but in the 2016 Six Nations won only one game, against Italy.
- England have lost just two home games in all tournaments at this level since 2010, both were last year in the Six Nations, to Ireland and Wales.
- France U20 beat Georgia to take 9th spot in the World Rugby U20 Championship last summer and in the 2016 Six Nations lost only one game, to the grand slam winners, Wales.
- France have lost twice since that defeat by Wales, to Argentina and South Africa during the World Rugby U20 Championship.
- France have won three of their last four meetings with England at U20 level, but their most recent victory on English soil was 31-11 at Worcester in 2009.
- Sandy Park hosts its first age grade international although England Saxons have played there twice.