- The Chiefs are undefeated in their last 15 games against the Blues in Super Rugby (W14, D1); winning their last three clashes against the Auckland side.
- The Blues have won just two of their last 35 Super Rugby fixtures against opposition from New Zealand (D1, L32), both victories in that spell coming against the Highlanders.
- The Chiefs are winless in their last four New Zealand derbies away from home (D1, L3), they haven’t won such a fixture in Super Rugby since June 2018.
- The Blues have won four of their last five home games in Super Rugby (L1), only once in that time was the fulltime margin greater than 10 points.
- The Chiefs have won just two of their last seven games away from home in Super Rugby (D1, L4), having led by double-digits at half-time in each of those wins.
- The Blues have scored three tries or more in six of their last seven home games in Super Rugby, after having done so just once in five games prior.
- The Blues have the best scrum success rate in Super Rugby 2019 (97%), five percentage points higher than the Chiefs (92%).
- The Chiefs average the most offloads per-game in Super Rugby 2019 (13), three more than the Blues (10).
- The Chiefs have scored 110 points in the second quarter of matches in Super Rugby 2019, the most of any team in the competition and 60 more than the Blues (50).
- Rieko Ioane (Blues) has made the second most clean breaks (23) of any player in Super Rugby 2019, one behind overall leader Sevu Reece (24) and seven more than Chiefs’ best Tumua Manu (16).
The Blues have played the Chiefs 31 times in Super rugby since 1996 and the Blues have won 10 matches, drawn 1 and lost 20 times.
The Blues 10 wins out of 31 matches gives them a record of winning 32% of their matches against the Chiefs regardless of venue.
This weekend the match will be played in Auckland which is home for the Blues and the venue where the teams have met 13 times.
In those 13 matches played in Auckland the Blues have won 5 matches, lost 4 and drawn one. This gives the Blues a record of winning 39% of their matches against the Chiefs at home.
The average score when the Blues play the Chiefs in Auckland is : Blues 23 Chiefs 24.
The Blues have not beaten the Chiefs in the last six matches played in Auckland. The teams did draw in 2017 but for the Blues that was the best result.
The last time the Blues beat the Chiefs at home was back in 2010.
Average score: Blues 22 Chiefs 36
Last five results
Sat, 13 Apr 2019 Blues v Chiefs 29-33 Hamilton
Sat, 07 Apr 2018 Blues v Chiefs 19-21 Hamilton
Fri, 02 Mar 2018 Blues v Chiefs 21-27 Auckland
Fri, 26 May 2017 Blues v Chiefs 16-16 Auckland
Fri, 03 Mar 2017 Blues v Chiefs 26-41 Waikato
Blues overall record against the Chiefs
Played 31, Wins 10, Losses 20, Draws 1
1 Alex Hodgman, 2 James Parsons, 3 Ofa Tuungafasi, 4 Patrick Tuipulotu (co-capt), 5 Scott Scrafton, 6 Dalton Papalii, 7 Blake Gibson (co-capt), 8 Akira Ioane, 9 Jonathan Ruru, 10 Harry Plummer, 11 Rieko Ioane, 12 Ma’a Nonu, 13 TJ Faiane (VC), 14 Caleb Clarke, 15 Melani Nanai.
Replacements: 16 Matt Moulds, 17 Lua Li, 18 Karl Tu’inukuafe, 19 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 20 Tom Robinson, 21 Augustine Pulu, 22 Otere Black, 23 Matt Duffie.
15 Solomon Alaimalo, 14 Sean Wainui, 13 Tumua Manu, 12 Anton Lienert-Brown, 11 Etene Nanai-Seturo, 10 Marty McKenzie, 9 Brad Weber (captain), 8 Tyler Ardron, 7 Mitchell Karpik, 6 Pita Gus Sowakula, 5 Mitchell Brown, 4 Jesse Parete, 3 Angus Ta’avao, 2 Nathan Harris, 1 Atu Moli
Replacements: 16 Liam Polwart, 17 Aidan Ross, 18 Nepo Laulala, 19 Mitchell Jacobson, 20 Sam Cane, 21 Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, 22 Shaun Stevenson, 23 Alex Nankivell
Match Officials and details
Date : Saturday 18 May
Venue : Eden Park, Auckland
Kick Off local: 19:35
Referee: Glen Jackson
Assistant Ref 1:Nick Briant
Assistant Ref 2:Dan Waenga
TMO :Glenn Newman