- The Crusaders have won 10 of their last 11 matches against the Lions in Super Rugby (L1), the sole Lions victory coming in a 2016 Super Rugby finals playoff (42-25).
- The Crusaders have won all five of their Super Rugby encounters with the Lions at home, scoring an average of 34 points in that span.
- The Lions’ victory a week ago against the Chiefs was their first in New Zealand since Round 2 2016 (L5), the Lions have never won consecutive Super Rugby matches in New Zealand.
- The Crusaders will be playing for 25 consecutive Super Rugby victories at home, their club record is 26 straight wins on home soil stretching from 2004 to 2007.
- The Lions have banked victories in New Zealand against three of the five Super Rugby teams (Highlanders, Blues and Chiefs), they are yet to have success away to the Hurricanes or Crusaders.
- The Crusaders have averaged more clean breaks (14.9) and metres (482) than any other side in Super Rugby 2019, scoring the most points (264) and tries (40) in total in the process.
- No side has scored more tries this campaign after winning a turnover than the Lions (8 level with the Hurricanes), while no team has scored more tries following kick returns than the Crusaders (6, also level with the Hurricanes).
- The Lions’ Malcolm Marx has won nine jackal turnovers this season, no other player has won as many turnovers in this fashion.
- Andries Coetzee (Lions) has made 29 catches from kicks in Super Rugby this year, more than any other player, only failing with a further four attempts.
- The Crusaders’ Will Jordan has scored a joint-high eight tries this year, level with Jack Maddocks and Rieko Ioane, crossing the try line once every 44 minutes on average, the best rate of any player to cross more than twice this campaign.
The Crusaders have played the Lions 21 times in Super rugby since 1998 and the Crusaders have won 17 matches, drawn none and lost 4 times.
The Crusaders 17 wins out of 21 matches gives them a record of winning 81% of their matches against the Lions regardless of venue.
This weekend the match will be played in Christchurch which is home for the Crusaders and the venue where the teams have met 7 times.
In those 7 matches played in Christchurch the Crusaders have won all 7. This gives the Crusaders a record of winning 100% of their matches against the Lions at home.
The Crusaders played the Lions twice in Nelson in the early days and both teams won one match each.
The average score when the Crusaders play the Lions in Christchurch is : Crusaders 42 Lions 19.
The Crusaders have won the last three matches against the Lions regardless of the venue.
The Lions have not beaten the Crusaders in New Zealand soil 2001 when they won 31-32 in Nelson.
Average score: Crusaders 34 Lions 24
Last five results
Sat, 04 Aug 2018 Final Crusaders 37-18 Lions @Christchurch
Sun, 01 Apr 2018 Crusaders 14-08 Lions @Johannesburg
Sat, 05 Aug 2017 Final Crusaders 25-17 Lions @Johannesburg
Sat, 23 Jul 2016 Elim Crusaders 25-42 Lions @Johannesburg
Fri, 01 Apr 2016 Crusaders 43-37 Lions @Johannesburg
Crusaders overall record against the Lions
Played 21, Wins 17 , Losses 4, Draws 0
15 David Havili, 14 Sevu Reece, 13 Braydon Ennor, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 George Bridge, 10 Richie Mo’unga, 9 Mitchell Drummond, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Billy Harmon, 6 Whetukamokamo Douglas, 5 Sam Whitelock (captain), 4 Quinten Strange, 3 Michael Alaalatoa, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Joe Moody
Replacements: 16 Ben Funnell, 17 Harry Allan, 18 Oliver Jager, 19 Michael Dunshea, 20 Jordan Taufua, 21 Ereatara Enari, 22 Mitchell Hunt, 23 Ngane Punivai
Ruan Combrinck; Sylvian Mahuza, Lionel Mapoe, Elton Jantjies, Aphiwe Dyantyi; Shaun Reynolds, Nic Groom; Warren Whiteley (c), Cyle Brink, Kwagga Smith, Marvin Orie, Stephan Lewies, Carlu Sadie, Robbie Coetzee, Sti Sithole
Replacements: Jan-Henning Campher, Nathan Mcbeth, Johannes Jonker, Wilhelm Vd Sluys, Marnus Schoeman, Ross Cronje, Franco Naude, Tyrone Green.
Match Officials and details
Date : Friday 26 April
Venue : AMI Stadium, Christchurch
Kick Off local: 19:35
Referee: Paul Williams
Assistant Ref 1:Mike Fraser
Assistant Ref 2:James Munro
TMO : Aaron Paterson