- The Hurricanes have won three of their last four Super Rugby matches against the Bulls (L1), three of the four matches in that span have been decided by five points or fewer.
- The Bulls come into this match on the back of a three-game undefeated run (W1, D2), the Pretoria-based side haven’t had a longer undefeated stretch in Super Rugby since a seven-game span from March-April 2016 (W6, D1).
- The Hurricanes lost their most recent Super Rugby finals match against the Crusaders (12-30 in 2018), they haven’t registered back-to-back losses in the postseason since 2008-2009.
- The Bulls have won six of their last eight games in the Super Rugby finals series (L2), both of those losses coming in their previous two outings.
- The Hurricanes have won 14 of their last 15 Super Rugby matches at home against South African teams (L1), including their last 12 matches on the bounce.
- The Bulls have drawn their last two Super Rugby matches on the road against New Zealand teams, only the second time in their history they have avoided defeat in consecutive away matches against New Zealand sides (W2, 2010-2011).
- The Hurricanes have won the most turnovers per-game in Super Rugby 2019 (9), two more than the Bulls (7).
- The Bulls have recorded the best lineout success rate of any team in Super Rugby 2019 (93%), no team has a lower percentage than the Hurricanes (80%).
- Ardie Savea (Hurricanes) has won 27 turnovers in Super Rugby this season, more than any other player and six more than the Bulls’ Duane Vermeulen who has won the second most (21).
- Handre Pollard’s (Bulls) 188 points in Super Rugby 2019 is the most in the competition and 63 more than the next best player involved in the finals series (125 points – Richie Mo’unga, Crusaders).
The Hurricanes have played the Bulls 19 times in Super rugby since 1998 and the Hurricanes have won 10 matches, lost 9 times and drawn none.
The Hurricanes 10 wins out of 19 matches gives them a record of winning 53% of their matches against the Bulls regardless of venue.
This weekend the match will be played in Wellington which is home for the Hurricanes and the venue where the teams have met 6 times.
In those 6 matches played in Wellington, the Hurricanes have won 3 matches and lost 3. This gives the Hurricanes a record of winning 50% of their matches against the Bulls at home.
The average score when the Hurricanes play the Bulls in Wellington is : Hurricanes 21 Bulls 22.
In the last four matches played in Wellington between these teams they have alternated victories. The Hurricanes won the last match and that was back in 2014.
The last time these teams met was last year in 2018 and the Bulls won 21-19 in Pretoria.
Average score: Hurricanes 25 Bulls 25
Last five results
Sat, 24 Feb 2018 Bulls 21 v 19 Hurricanes @Pretoria
Sat, 27 May 2017 Bulls 20 v 34 Hurricanes @Pretoria
Fri, 20 Feb 2015 Bulls 13 v 17 Hurricanes @Pretoria
Sat, 05 Apr 2014 Hurricanes 25 v 20 Bulls @Wellington
Sat, 04 May 2013 Bulls 48 v 14 Hurricanes @Pretoria
Hurricanes overall record against the Bulls
Played 19, Wins 10, Losses 9, Draws 0
15.Jordie Barrett 14 Wes Goosen 13 Peter Umaga-Jensen 12 Ngani Laumape 11 Ben Lam 10 Beauden Barrett 9 TJ Perenara 8 Gareth Evans 7 Ardie Savea 6 Reed Prinsep 5 Isaia Walker-Leawere 4 James Blackwell 3 Jeff To’omaga-Allen 2 Dane Coles (c) 1 Toby Smith
Replacements : 16 Asafo Aumua 17 Fraser Armstrong 18 Ben May or Alex Fidow 19 Kane Le’aupepe 20 Du’Plessis Kirifi 21 Richard Judd or Finlay Christie 22 James Marshall 23 Salesi Rayasi
15. Warrick Gelant, 14. Cornal Hendricks, 13. Jesse Kriel, 12. Johnny Kotze, 11. Rosko Specman, 10. Handré Pollard (captain), 9. Andre Warner, 8. Duane Vermeulen, 7. Hanro Liebenberg, 6. Marco van Staden, 5. RG Snyman, 4. Jason Jenkins, 3. Trevor Nyakane, 2. Jaco Visagie, 1. Lizo Gqoboka
Replacements:: 16. Johan Grobbelaar, 17. Simphiwe Matanzima, 18. Wiehahn Herbst, 19. Jannes Kirsten, 20. Ruan Steenkamp, 21. Ivan van Zyl, 22. Manie Libbok, 23. Divan Rossouw
Match Officials and details
Date : Sat 22 June
Venue : Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Kick Off local: 19.35
Referee: Nic Berry
Assistant Ref 1:O’Keeffe
Assistant Ref 2:Brendon Pickerill
TMO :Glenn Newman