- The Sharks have won two of their last three Super Rugby games against the Chiefs and will now be looking to snare back-to-back wins against them for the first time since 2008-09.
- The Chiefs have won their last four Super Rugby games against the Sharks when hosting on the day; though, just one of those four wins came by a margin of greater than eight points.
- The Chiefs fell to a 23-17 loss to the Lions in their last Super Rugby game against South African opposition and will be aiming to avoid back-to-back defeats in such fixtures for the first time since April 2010.
- The Chiefs have won only one of their last five games played on home soil (D1, L3), despite leading at half-time on the day three times in that span.
- The Sharks are undefeated in their last three Super Rugby games away from home (W2, D1); the last and only time they went longer without defeat on the road within a single season was a four-game stretch across March and April 2008 (W3, D1).
- The Sharks are undefeated in their last four regular season Super Rugby games against New Zealand opposition (W3, D1).
- The Chiefs have conceded just seven penalties per game thus far in Super Rugby 2019, the fewest of any team in the competition and three fewer per game than the Sharks (10).
- Only the Crusaders (+71) have a better points differential in the 20 minutes after half-time than the Sharks (+27) in Super Rugby 2019.
- Anton Lienert-Brown (Chiefs) has made 28 offloads in Super Rugby 2019, nine more than any other player.
- Only two players (Izack Rodda & Luke Jones – 8) have stolen more lineouts this Super Rugby season than the Sharks’ Hyron Andrews (6).
The Chiefs have played the Sharks 20 times in Super rugby since 1998 and the Chiefs have won 11 matches, drawn none and lost 9 times.
The Chiefs 11 wins out of 20 matches gives them a record of winning 55% of their matches against the Sharks regardless of venue.
This weekend the match will be played in Hamilton which is home for the Chiefs and the venue where the teams have met 8 times.
In those 8 matches played in Hamilton the Chiefs have won 6 matches and lost 2. This gives the Chiefs a record of winning 750% of their matches against the Sharks at home.
The average score when the Chiefs play the Sharks in Hamilton is : Chiefs 30 Sharks 18.
The Chiefs have won the last three matches against the Sharks in Hamilton and the Sharks have not won in the city since 2009.
Average score: Chiefs 25 Sharks 24
Last five results
Sat, 19 May 2018 Chiefs 24-28 Sharks @Durban
Fri, 29 Apr 2016 Chiefs 24-22 Sharks @New Plymouth
Sat, 21 Mar 2015 Chiefs 11-12 Sharks @Durban
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 Chiefs 37-29 Sharks @Hamilton
Sat, 04 Aug 2012 Final Chiefs 37-06 Sharks @Hamilton
Chiefs overall record against the Sharks
Played 20, Wins 11 , Losses 9 , Draws 0
15 Solomon Alaimalo, 14 Sean Wainui, 13 Tumua Manu, 12 Anton Lienert-Brown, 11 Etene Nanai-Seturo, 10 Marty McKenzie, 9 Brad Weber (captain), 8 Luke Jacobson, 7 Mitchell Karpik, 6 Jesse Parete, 5 Mitchell Brown, 4 Tyler Ardron, 3 Nepo Laulala, 2 Nathan Harris, 1 Atu Moli
Replacements: 16 Liam Polwart, 17 Ryan Coxon, 18 Angus Ta’avao, 19 Taleni Seu, 20 Pita Gus Sowakula, 21 Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, 22 Shaun Stevenson, 23 Alex Nankivell
15 Aphelele Fassi, 14 Sbu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Marius Louw, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Louis Schreuder (c), 8 Philip van der Walt, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Jacques Vermeulen, 5 Ruan Botha, 4 Hyron Andrews, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Kerron van Vuuren, 1 Thomas du Toit
Replacements:16 Fezokuhle Mbatha, 17 Mzamo Majola, 18 John-Hubert Meyer, 19 Tyler Paul, 20 Luke Stringer, 21 Cameron Wright, 22 Robert du Preez, 23 Kobus van Wyk
Match Officials and details
Date : Saturday 11 May
Venue : FMG Stadium, Waikato
Kick Off local: 19:35
Referee: Nic Berry
Assistant Ref 1:Paul Williams
Assistant Ref 2:Brendon Pickerill
TMO :Aaron Paterson