- The Lions have won their last four Super Rugby games on the bounce against the NSW Waratahs, this after having lost six games in succession against them prior to that run.
- The Lions have won 10 of their last 12 Super Rugby games against Australian opposition but were defeated 31-20 by the Brumbies in their last such fixture; the last time they lost back-to-back games to Australian opposition was in May 2014.
- The NSW Waratahs have lost their last three games on the bounce away from home in Super Rugby; however, each of those three defeats has come by a margin of no greater than seven points.
- The Lions boast a 91% success rate at both the lineout and scrum in Super Rugby 2019, making them one of only two teams (Rebels) with a success rate of 90% or higher at both set pieces this season.
- Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs) has made 14 break passes this Super Rugby campaign, more than any other player in the competition.
The Lions have played the Waratahs 19 times in Super rugby since 1998 and the Lions have won 5 matches, drawn none and lost 14 times.
The Lions 5 wins out of 19 matches gives them a record of winning 26% of their matches against the Waratahs regardless of venue.
This weekend the match will be played in Johannesburg which is home for the Lions and the venue where the teams have met 7 times.
In those 7 matches played in Johannesburg the Lions have won 4 matches and lost 3.
This gives the Lions a record of winning 57% of their matches against the Waratahs at home.
The average score when the Lions play the Waratahs in Johannesburg is : Lions 32 Waratahs 30.
The Lions have won the last three matches against the Waratahs in Johannesburg and the Waratahs have not won in the city since 2009.
It should be noted that these teams did not meet in Johannesburg between 2009 and 2015.
Average score: Lions 21 Waratahs 36
Last five results
Sat, 28 Jul 2018 Semi Lions 44-26 Waratahs @Johannesburg
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 Lions 29-00 Waratahs @Sydney
Sat, 04 Mar 2017 Lions 55-36 Waratahs @Johannesburg
Sat, 30 May 2015 Lions 27-22 Waratahs @Johannesburg
Sun, 18 May 2014 Lions 13-41 Waratahs @Sydney
Lions overall record against the Waratahs
Played 19 , Wins 5, Losses 14 , Draws 0
15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Courtnall Skosan, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Warren Whiteley (c), 7 Vincent Tshituka, 6 Kwagga Smith, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Stephan Lewies, 3 Carlu Sadie, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Sti Sithole Replacements: 16 Jan-Henning Campher, 17 Dylan Smith, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Wilhelm van der Sluys, 20 Marnus Schoeman, 21 Nic Groom, 22 Shaun Reynolds, 23 Tyrone Green
15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Alex Newsome, 13 Lalakai Foketi, 12 Karmichael Hunt, 11 Curtis Rona, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Michael Wells, 7 Michael Hooper (c), 6 Ned Hanigan, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Tom Staniforth, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Damien Fitzpatrick, 1 Harry Johnson-Holmes
Replacements: 16 Andrew Tuala, 17 Tom Robertson, 18 Chris Talakai, 19 Hugh Sinclair, 20 Will Miller, 21 Jake Gordon, 22 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 23 Cam Clark
Match Officials and details
Date : Saturday 11 May
Venue : Emirates Airlines (Ellis) Park, Johannesburg
Kick Off local: 15:05
Referee: Egon Seconds
Assistant Ref 1: Jaco Peyper
Assistant Ref 2:Rasta Rasivhenge
TMO : Willie Vos