- The winner has alternated in the last 10 Super Rugby meetings between the Lions and the Highlanders, both sides winning five games apiece in that spell; should that run continue the Lions would be due victory in this game.
- The Highlanders have won five of their last seven Super Rugby fixtures in South Africa (L2), the same amount as they’d won in their previous 21 such matches (L16).
- The Lions have lost their last three Super Rugby games at home to New Zealand opposition, despite holding the lead at half-time in the last two matches of that span.
- Only the Crusaders (18) have scored more tries in the third quarter of matches than the Lions (13) and the Highlanders (12) in Super Rugby 2019.
- Matt Faddes (Highlanders) has scored three tries in his last four Super Rugby games; however, he’s not scored a try away from home in the competition since Round 12, 2017.
The Lions have played the Highlanders 19 times in Super rugby since 1998 and the Lions have won 7 matches and lost 12 times.
The Lions 7 wins out of 19 matches gives them a record of winning 37% of their matches against the Highlanders regardless of venue.
This weekend the match will be played in Johannesburg which is home for the Lions and the venue where the teams have met 7 times.
In those 7 matches played in Johannesburg the Lions have won 6 matches and lost 1. This gives the Lions a record of winning 86% of their matches against the Highlanders at home.
The average score when the Lions play the Highlanders in Johannesburg is : Lions 30 Highlanders 20.
The Lions have won the last four matches against the Highlanders in Johannesburg and the Highlanders have not won in the city since 2005.
Average score: Lions 25 Highlanders 28
Last five results
Sat, 12 May 2018 Lions v Highlanders 27-39 Dunedin
Sat, 30 Jul 2016 Semi Lions v Highlanders 42-30 Johannesburg
Sat, 12 Mar 2016 Lions v Highlanders 15-34 Dunedin
Sat, 09 May 2015 Lions v Highlanders 28-23 Johannesburg
Sat, 10 May 2014 Lions v Highlanders 22-23 Dunedin
Lions overall record against the Highlanders
Played 19, Wins 7, Losses 12 , Draws 0
15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Courtnall Skosan, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Kwagga Smith, 7 Cyle Brink, 6 Marnus Schoeman, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Stephan Lewies, 3 Carlu Sadie, 2 Malcolm Marx (captain), 1 Dylan Smith
Replacements : 16 Jan-Henning Campher, 17 Sti Sithole, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Vincent Tshituka, 20 Hacjivah Dayimani, 21 Nic Groom, 22 Shaun Reynolds, 23 Tyrone Green
Ayden Johnstone, Liam Coltman, Tyrel Lomax, Josh Dickson, Tom Franklin, Luke Whitelock (c), Dillon Hunt, Shannon Frizell, Aaron Smith, Josh Ioane, Patelesio Tomkinson, Teihorangi Walden, Rob Thompson, Jordan Hyland, Matt Faddes
Replacements : Ash Dixon, Daniel Lienert-Brown, Siate Tokolahi, Jack Whetton, James Lentjes, Kayne Hammington, Daniel Hollinshead, Waisake Naholo
Match Officials and details
Date : Saturday 18 May
Venue : Emirates Airlines (Ellis) Park, Johannesburg
Kick Off local: 15:05
Referee: Rasta Rasivhenge
Assistant Ref 1:Jaco Peyper
Assistant Ref 2:Griffin Colby
TMO :Willie Vos