- The Sharks have won their last two Super Rugby games on the bounce against the Lions; however, they had lost their seven meetings in succession prior to that brace.
- The Sharks have lost five of their last seven South African derbies as hosts in Super Rugby, including their last two on the bounce; they have never lost more than three such fixtures in succession.
- The Lions have won 10 of their last 13 Super Rugby matches visiting the other South African teams (D1, L2), both losses in that span came despite leading at half-time.
- The Lions are one of only two teams (Rebels) with a 90% success rate at both the lineout (90%) and the scrum (92%) in Super Rugby 2019.
- Makazole Mapimpi (Sharks) has scored three tries in his last three games against the Lions, including a brace in his last game against them.
The Sharks have played the Lions 30 times in Super rugby since 1998 and the Sharks have won 18 times, lost 10 matches and drawn twice.
The Sharks 18 wins out of 30 matches gives them a record of winning 60% of their matches against the Lions regardless of venue.
This weekend the match will be played in Durban which is home for the Sharks and the venue where the teams have met 14 times.
In those 14 matches played in Durban the Sharks have won 11 matches and lost 3. This gives the Sharks a record of winning 79% of their matches against the Lions at home.
The average score when the Sharks play the Lions in Durban is : Sharks 29 Lions 17.
Although the Sharks have won 79% of their matches against the Lions at home in recent years they have struggled. In the last three matches played in Durban between these teams the Sharks have won one. It was however the most recent match and was in June 2018 which was the last time the Lions played in Durban.
Average score: Sharks 27 Lions 20
Last five results
Sat, 06 Apr 2019 Sharks v Lions 42-5 Johannesburg
Sat, 30 Jun 2018 Sharks v Lions 31-24 Durban
Sat, 17 Feb 2018 Sharks v Lions 19-26 Johannesburg
Sat, 22 Jul 2017 Elim Sharks v Lions 21-23 Johannesburg
Sat, 15 Jul 2017 Sharks v Lions 10-27 Durban
Sharks overall record against the Lions
Played 30, Wins 18, Losses 10, Draws 2
15 Aphelele Fassi, 14 Sbu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Louis Schreuder (c), 8 Daniel du Preez, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Philip van der Walt, 5 Ruan Botha, 4 Ruben van Heerden, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Kerron van Vuuren, 1 Mzamo Majola
Replacements: 16 Dylan Richardson, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 John-Hubert Meyer, 19 Hyron Andrews, 20 Jacques Vermeulen, 21 Cameron Wright, 22 Robert du Preez, 23 Kobus van Wyk
15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Courtnall Skosan, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi; 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Nic Groom; 8 Kwagga Smith (c), 7 Cyle Brink, 6 Marnus Schoeman, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Stephan Lewies, 3 Johannes Jonker, 2 Jan-Henning Campher, 1 Dylan Smith
Replacements:16 Pieter Jansen, 17 Sti Sithole, 18 Carlu Sadie, 19 Reinhard Nothnagel, 20 Vincent Tshituka, 21 Hacjivah Dayimani, 22 Shaun Reynolds, 23 Tyrone Green
Match Officials and details
Date : Saturday 25 May
Venue : Kings Park , Durban
Kick Off local: 17:15
Referee: Marius van der Westhuizen
Assistant Ref 1:Cwengile Jadezweni
Assistant Ref 2:Stefan Geldenhuys
TMO :Christie du Preez