- The Hurricanes have won their last eight games on the bounce against the Blues; neither side has previously managed to win nine on the bounce in the history of this fixture.
- The Hurricanes have won their last four home games in succession against the Blues in Super Rugby despite having trailed at half-time twice in that period.
- Each of the Hurricanes’ last four Super Rugby games has been won by the away team on the day, with the ‘Canes picking up three wins (L1) in that time.
- The Hurricanes have lost only one of their last six New Zealand derbies (W4, D1), and have won their last three on the trot.
- The Blues have won only one of their last eight games in Super Rugby (D1, L6), despite having held the lead at half-time in four of those fixtures.
- The Blues have lost their last nine away games in a row in Super Rugby; indeed, it’s been more than a year since they last won on the road in the competition (May 5th, 2018).
- The Hurricanes have won nine turnovers per game this Super Rugby season, more than any other team in the competition.
- The Blues boast the best scrum success rate (97%) on their own feed of any team in Super Rugby 2019 and have lost just one scrum in their last 10 games.
- Ngani Laumape (Hurricanes) has beaten 62 defenders thus far in Super Rugby 2019, the second most of any player in the competition (Samu Kerevi – 66).
- Only two players have made more carries this Super Rugby campaign than Blues’ duo Melani Nanai (165) and Akira Ioane (161), while Nanai (1,123m) is the only player to have gained more than 1,000m this season.
The Hurricanes have played the Blues 31 times in Super rugby since 1996 and the Hurricanes have won 16 matches, lost 14 times and drawn one.
The Hurricanes 16 wins out of 31 matches gives them a record of winning 52% of their matches against the Blues regardless of venue.
This weekend the match will be played in Wellington which is home for the Hurricanes and the venue where the teams have met 12 times.
In those 12 matches played in Wellington the Hurricanes have won 6 matches and lost 5 and drawn one. This gives the Hurricanes a record of winning 50% of their matches against the Blues at home.
The average score when the Hurricanes play the Blues in Wellington is : Hurricanes 28 Blues 29
The Hurricanes have won the last three matches against the Blues in Wellington and the Blues have not won in the city since 2013.
Average score: Hurricanes 26 Blues 26
Last five results
Fri, 10 May 2019 Hurricanes 22 v 12 Blues @Auckland
Sat, 07 Jul 2018 Hurricanes 42 v 24 Blues @Wellington
Fri, 11 May 2018 Hurricanes 36 v 15 Blues @Auckland
Sat, 15 Apr 2017 Hurricanes 28 v 24 Blues @Auckland
Sat, 02 Jul 2016 Hurricanes 37 v 27 Blues @Wellington
Hurricanes overall record against the Blues
Played 31, Wins 16, Losses 14, Draws 1
15 James Marshall, 14 Ben Lam, 13 Peter Umaga-Jensen, 12 Danny Toala, 11 Salesi Rayasi, 10 Jackson Garden-Bachop, 9 Richard Judd, 8 Gareth Evans, 7 Du’Plessis Kirifi, 6 Reed Prinsep, 5 Isaia Walker-Leawere, 4 Kane Le’aupepe, 3 Ross Geldenhuys, 2 Dane Coles (c), 1 Fraser Armstrong
Replacements: 16 Asafo Aumua, 17 Chris Eves, 18 Alex Fidow, 19 Liam Mitchell, 20 Ardie Savea, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Fletcher Smith, 23 Jonah Lowe
1 Alex Hodgman, 2 James Parsons, 3 Marcel Renata, 4 Patrick Tuipulotu, 5 Scott Scrafton, 6 Dalton Papalii, 7 Blake Gibson (c), 8 Akira Ioane; 9 Augustine Pulu, 10 Otere Black, 11, Rieko Ioane, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 13 Tanielu Tele’a, 14 Caleb Clarke, 15 Melani Nanai.
Replacements : 16 Leni Apisai, 17 Hisa Sasagi, 18 Lua Li, 19 Tom Robinson, 20 Josh Goodhue, 21 Jonathan Ruru, 22 Harry Plummer, 23 Ma’a Nonu.
Match Officials and details
Date : Saturday 15 June
Venue : Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Kick Off local: 19:35
Referee: Glen Jackson
Assistant Ref 1:Brendon Pickerill
Assistant Ref 2:Mike Fraser
TMO : Glenn Newman